Night photo of the Iglesia La Soledad en San José (Church of Our Lady of La Soledad by Jaime Cruz.
The church is located in the heart of downtown. It was built in the mid-nineteenth century and was incorporated into the Historical and Architectural Heritage of the country on December 8, 1999.
In 1851, at the request of the first Archbishop of Costa Rica Anselmo Llorente y la Fuente, the elaboration of the plans of the Church of La Soledad by the English architect Hugh G. Tonkin began. Its construction in calicanto, with influence of baroque style and wooden columns took more than 30 years.
The stained glass windows or “virales” in Spanish come from Switzerland and represent several biblical passages. The Church has several sculptures from the